The holidays are always a rush of activities. As I finish up my Christmas shopping and holiday cards and begin to think of my goals for 2014, I also have to immediately start packing for our trip home to see Craig's family. There are always many different events and people to see. There's the annual Christmas cocktail party, Christmas Eve church and dinner, Christmas Day festivities, at least one dinner out, and then of course the many "drop-ins" to see additional family and friends. This naturally means that packing has to be done strategically. So as I put things into my own suitcase - making sure not to over pack - I thought I would give you some tips on packing the perfect suitcase for your time spent at home this holiday season.
A very Happy Holidays everyone!
From my Closet to Yours,
To start with, here are a few essentials you will need for the entirety of your trip. First, a beautiful black coat, like this one from Jenni Kayne, is great to throw on over anything and is appropriate for all occasions. Next a simple brown bootie and a classic pair of black heels will easily complete any look as well as a great camel colored coat like this one from Rag & Bone. Lastly, use fun embellished accessories like this clutch and necklace to bring in a true holiday feel.
Now for the ensembles:
1) The perfect holiday skirt. Wear this to your Christmas cocktail party with a fabulous black top tucked in, black tights, and black heels. Wearing such a standout pattern with tamed accessories, will keep you looking classy while still making a statement!
2) When it comes to church and dinner on Christmas Eve, you want to be comfortable yet appropriate for both occasions. By wearing a touch of green in a long maxi skirt and a beautiful silk blouse that could work with numerous ensembles you'll be both festive and sophisticated throughout the evening.
3) For Christmas Day, take out the same black top that you wore to the cocktail party for your family dinner but this time untucked with an awesome pair of plaid pants. You will look fashionable but be comfortable especially with an easy-to-pack pair of black flats that go with everything to round out this look.
4) To go out to dinner with family or friends, wear your fun plaid pants and pattern mix with the great top you wore Christmas Eve and your black heels of your choosing.
5) When dropping by to visit friends, choose your favorite casual dress to make the 'rounds'. To complete this ensemble, wear this with your brown booties and a brown leather jacket or a camel peacoat.
Here are a few additional great casual pieces and yummy sweaters to wear with jeans and your brown booties or black flats during the day that will work for whatever you're busy with during this festive time.